Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Dear to My Heart

This summer I was asked by my sister-in-law, Angie, to create some very special gifts.  My brother-in-law, Casey, passed away last last January from brain cancer leaving behind two young children.  I had approached her and suggested that when she was ready, I would love to create quilts from his clothes.

It was an emotional and wonderful journey for me making these quilts.   Casey's spirit was so strong around me as I created these quilts.  He had a hand in them for sure. Love you Casey!

For their little girl, we used Casey's dress shirts; the tops of the butterflies and the butterfly bodies.  I added the colorful fabric to make it a bit more girly.




All of the quilts were quilted by the sweet and wonderful Barbie Mills.  The quilting on this quilt is exceptionally beautiful with the quilted butterflies and the flower boarder.


For their boy, Angie wanted to use Casey's t-shirts.  This was the most emotional quilt to make because I remember him wearing each one of these shirts.  It was hard to cut them up, but I knew the end result would be wonderful.  I love the layout of this quilt.  I even included a couple of the shirts size tags.


Angie was blessed to meet a wonderful man, Shane, and combine their families.  He also lost his wife in January to cancer leaving behind 4 children.  I had to privilege to create quilts for them from their mom's scrubs.

She had a wonderful assortment of patterns, so it was easy to create girly quilts for her two girls.


All of the fabric on the front except for the white came from their mom's scrubs.


For her boys, the colored squares are from her scrubs and the light fabric was added for contrast.


I feel so privileged to have had the opportunity to create these quilts for my nieces and nephews.  It was a wonderful labor of love.  Many times while making these I could strongly feel the spirits of Casey and Spring.  I know they are watching over their babies. And every time their kids wrap up in these quilts, I hope they can feel like they are getting a hug from their mom or dad. 


Stats:
About 54" x 70"
Started: August 2014
Finished: January 2015
For: Angie and Shane's kids


1 comment: